Friday 13 April 2012

31-03-2012 – Lukla – Monjo


Altitude: 1300m to 2850m
Atmospheric Pressure: 885mbar to 750mbar
Trek: 13Km / 3:30Hrs

The plan was to get up and be ready for 5am to get in the coach for the airport.
However, I didn’t have to worry about the early stat as it turns out.
I didn’t feel too sporty last night so decided to skip dinner (as well as having skipped lunch) and I was in bed by 8pm.
I was awake again at 12am with an angry tummy and some fever. I lay in bed watching the hours go by lowly, with toilet breaks to keep me entertained.
At last, it was time to get up, and get in the coach.. As it turns out, I wasn’t the only one with stomach problems. Wisey had been 4 times in the last 30 minutes and he wasn’t looking forward to the 40 minutes helicopter ride….. there’s no toilets in those J.
The Doc was also in trouble, but not as bad.
The heli ride went smoothly and we landed in Lukla.
This is such an iconic place for anybody trekking or climbing in the area, the gateway to the whole Everest national park, with multiple trails to choose from.
I’d been thinking and talking about it for a while, but at last I’m here, with the civilization left behind us. Lukla is always the official start of an expedition, time to start walking!
I was still feeling tender, with the fever making me feel quite cold. After more than 24 hours without food, I was running on Coca-Cola to cleanse the stomach and bring some calories in.
The others had breakfast in one of the lodge while I carried on sipping my coke.
We then got going for a couple of hours down from 2850m to 2600m to have lunch ( I felt brave enough to have 4 pieces of potatoes!). The path we took was well worn, and thousand of people use it as everybody starts from Lukla. It’s a little disappointing to see so many people around, and the side of the path is full of different shops, lodges, kit, there’s even a Startbuck at Lukla!!
It’s warm in the sun and the path goes up and down which helps us keeping warm. We’re all feeling the effect of altitude already with our breathing getting heavier.
Another couple of hours after lunch to get back up to 2850m in the village of Monju where we discover our first lodge for the night.
We’re all quite cold as the sun has disappeared and our evening bags haven’t arrived yet.
I elect to get to my room, which I’m meant to share but end up being on my own, and catch up on some well needed sleep.
I’m back down just before dinner and our bags eventually turn up. I can’t wait to get my down jacket on, warm and cozy.
I’m taking it easy with dinner, but still have some popcorns, soup and plain rice. Lets hope this stays down overnight and bring my energy levels back up.
By now, Martin, Karl and Jaco are also mentioning the activity of their stomachs.
Early night again, in bed by 21:00, with a lay-in as we’re having breakfast at 7am.

The group is huge and I wasn’t really in the mood to chat today, so I stayed at the back, stopping to take pictures and take in the views. It’s a very nice valley, but busy already. Russ said it will get better as we get closer to Base Camp.
Tomorrow is another short day which should take us to 3400m by lunch, with afternoon and the morning after to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment