Tuesday 24 April 2012

21-04-2012 – Lobuche summit – Rest Day


Altitude: 6000m
Atmospheric Pressure: 517mbar

Happy Birthday to my sister Helen!

Difficult night sleep, the platform where the tent is is not flat and I kept slipping towards Jo all night.
Also, since arriving yesterday, I’ve pee’d 4.5L in 18 hours!! This is the reaction from the body to altitude until acclimatised and this is why it’s important to drink, to avoid becoming dehydrated. As we spend more time up here, this should return to normal “quantities”.

Nothing to do up here all day, except going to the actual south summit, a further 100m higher. The previous have setup some fixed rope and its actually a nice excursion, only 500m both ways and 40 minutes, but we go on top of a small ridge, with very steep slopes either side… a great photo spot.

When we return, it’s back to the tent for some more drinking and snacking. I don’t have a headache, and the day is dragging on. I lay in the tent, listening to my Mp3 player counting the hours down, 18 to go!!!
I’m very happy to acclimatise so well at 6000m, some of the others didn’t leave the tent all day, with no appetite and nursing a headache.
However, when chatting with Jo, we realize we still have a huge 3000m to go to reach the summit of Everest, this feels like a huge task, considering how our bodies are behaving at 6000m!!! That made me realized how serious this climb is…….. just huge!!





No comments:

Post a Comment