Tuesday 24 April 2012

16-04-2012 – Lobuche summit


Altitude: 5260m to 6000m
Atmospheric Pressure: 590mbar to 510mbar
Trek: 6kms / 6Hrs

Slept Ok, probably 3 to 4 hours, spending the rest of the time listening to music.
I have fever, so sometimes need the sleeping bag fully open, sometime fully shut.
4 O’clock, Sergey goes out to answer a call of nature, and I use this early morning call to start getting dressed. I forgot how much mental strength is needed to get dressed in -10DegC tent with clothes at the same temperature, when you need to swap every item of clothing. When we start getting higher up the mountain, we usually go to bed fully dressed which make it easier.
Sergey who can witness all my coughing ask me whether I’m going for the summit, what a silly question J, even if deep down, I’m also asking the same thing. Would I do more damage to my lungs and throat by going up today? I reassure myself by pretending that I can always stop half way up and wait for the others to come back down.

We set off in the dark, with head torches just about being required.
It’s great to be back on the hill, walking in the snow, and soon, we also get to our first “fixed” rope, which provides us with safety if we were to fall in a crevasse, or just slip.
Also, when the slope become very steep, we can use the rope as additional help to get us up by pulling on it, although this is non preferred.
The first couple of hours go well, and I’m really enjoying the view and the feeling to be in the mountain at last. This is so different trekking, and it feels good to be up here, much less busy, and with a long and harder day ahead of us.

As the day progresses, I get more and more in pain with my throat and my lungs. I get the feeling that I only have 50% of my lung capacity available. Whenever I try to use more, it triggers a coughing fit which sets my throat and lungs on fire. This is becoming agony!
I start looking at the altitude on my watch: 5500m, not even half way. To increase the difficulty, the way to the summit is a continual slope, of more than 50Deg, covered with fresh snow, resulting in one step up, slide one step down!

This is very quickly becoming a mental fight. I know I can stop and turn around, but this would be the first time I give up on something like that, and I’m not quite ready yet.
I convince myself to go up for another 50m, trying not to breathe too deeply.
Eventually, Bruce, one of the guides catches up with me and sees how much in trouble I am. He’s telling me to slow down, 2 steps up, stop, take 4 breaths and so on.
What surprises me, is that he makes me realize that nobody is behind me. I’m feeling so slow and I’m in pain, but it would seem after all that it is the same for the others.
With my throat feeling like a 1000 knives, I eventually make it to the summit, completely worn out and in much discomfort. I’ve tried to drink some of my water, but even keeping it in my down jacket, it starts to freeze up and doesn’t really relieves the pain in my throat.
I spend 1 hour at 6000m, looking around and taking in the views, but also shivering from the occasional snow drifts.
I think my head is fine with the altitude, it’s only the issue of the throat and lungs which cause me trouble.
It takes me 1 hour to get back to high camp to gather the kit I had left over from last night, including sleeping mat, food, etc… and I push on to Lobuche base camp.
It’s 11:30, but I can’t wait to make it back down, and go straight to bed.
As I walk down, I start to think about the issue with my lungs. Did I do the right thing to go to the summit today? Have I done any damage to my lungs and throat? Are my lungs full of mucus and fluid, which is why I can’t breath fully in? I must admit that the thought crosses my mind that I might have to call it a day and go back home……. without having  chance to have a go at getting to the summit of Everest, and brought down by a silly cold (at 5300m!!). Even as the path flattens, I have to stop at the smallest climb to catch my breath and in some cases sit down. Things are looking very bleak.
As I get to base camp, the next group is there, waiting for some news on how hard the day has been. They’re going up to high camp this afternoon and up to the summit tomorrow.
I don’t feel most sociable, and retire in the dinning tents, to drink hot water with honey and eat some Pringles and Bounty…. Energy.
I manage to wait for lunch, but afterwards, it’s straight to bed until dinner, when Monica gives me some pills for my throat and also some paracetamol for my temperature.
I must admit, I still cough a lot (which triggers hot flushes), but I feel mentally better. After all, I can always switch group, buying me a further 2 days of recovery, and luckily, we have another 8 days before the Puja. Hopefully, my body will have recovered by then……… I hope.
It’s a rest day tomorrow, so we’ll see how I feel tomorrow night and decide whether to go up in 1 day (1400m ascent) and spend 2 nights at the summit, fingers crossed.
It’s been a very, very tough day mentally, with lots going through my mind and even the thought of having to give up on Everest. Hopefully it won’t be the case, and my body will work it’s magic and recover once again.






No comments:

Post a Comment