Friday 13 April 2012

3-04-2012 – Khumjung – Rest Day


Altitude: 3790m
Atmospheric Pressure: 675mbar
Temperature: 8DegC

What a great night!! I ended up not taking the sleeping pill, but still managed to sleep almost straight through. And I feel so much better for it.
I woke up half way through the night with a big headache and took Neurofen to get rid of it and went back to sleep.

As I get up, I’m ready for breakfast, a couple of eggs on toast and plenty of drinking water.
My stomach is still churning and making weird noises, but at least I feel much better, let hope this time it’s for good.

Today is labeled as a rest day, but there are a couple of short walks planned, more like sight seeing, to the Everest hotel and to a view point of Ama Dablam.
Monica thinks it’s better for me to stay at the lodge and recover, so I use the time to shower and catch up on blog and pictures.
Khumjung is the home of our serdar Sherpa Purba Tashi, and we’re staying at his lodge.

Khumjung also seems to be a big village, with the huge “Hillary” school and lots of buildings and houses. When I ask why the school is so big and how many kids leave here, I’m told that the school also look after the kids from Namche, meaning these kids come up and down to the school every day!! A 400m ascent at 3500m!! Sherpas in the making!!

Also, today Russell and Purba are going up all the way to Base Camp, and as is tradition, they burn juniper on the fire to wish them good luck on the mountains. We won’t see them until we get to base camp ourselves, in more than a week.

As the day progresses, I start feeling worse again, with nausea, and by dinner time, my stomach is trying to have discussion with the outside world!!
Rather than wait to see if it passes, I speak to Monica who gives the usual pills to block top and bottom exits but also puts me on a 3 day antibiotics course. Lets shift that f@@@ing bug!!

Lets hope the night goes OK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment