Friday 13 April 2012

2-04-2012 – Namche Bazar – Khumjung


Altitude: 3400m to 3790m
Atmospheric Pressure: 700mbar to 675mbar
Trek: 1 Hr 30 / 3Kms

This was a very bad night, got 1 hour sleep before midnight, but then was awake till 5, with multiple trips to the toilets. It would appear that the bug is back after all.

I waited for breakfast time to catch Monica, the expedition doctor. She gave me the full compliment of medicine, anti nausea, anti diarrhea and antibiotics as it’s been 3 days of unhappy stomach.

Today should be an easy day, 400m of ascent, which should take us between 1 and 2 hours. We’ve got the morning to look around Namche and we’ll set off after lunch.

I skip the looking around bit and as I hang out in the dining room, waiting for the others to come back, another trekker walks in and hears the discussions about stomach bugs. Turns out, he’s on his way down from higher up on the trek, as it’s been 1 week with the stomach bug which he hasn’t been able to shake off and his group have asked him to go down the mountain as he’s getting too weak. After 4 days of taking Imodium, it just wasn’t going away.
Luckily for me, we’ve got Monica, and hopefully, the antibiotics will help me.

After taking the tablets, I manage to go straight to sleep (anywhere I can find) until lunch time and feel much better for it. Not quite ready to try food though.
I set off with the front of the group, thinking the sooner I get to Khumjung, the sooner I can catch some more sleep.
However, the going is very, very slow. I’m dehydrated from the diarrhea and low on energy level from lack of food, and going up that hill almost feels like summit day (!), lots of breathing, resting on my walking sticks and tired legs, quite a few people catch me up. This is hard work!
When we eventually arrive, I also have a headache, probably a combination of the dehydration and altitude.

As soon as we arrive (3:30), it’s straight into my sleeping bag for some more sleep, until dinner which I decide to brave.
I eat very little, but it’s a start. I’m just not quite ready for the different tastes, but I’m starting to drink more, hoping it will help with the situation.
The problem I have now is that, as I’ve been sleeping all day, everybody has retired to their rooms and I’m not that sleepy, of course. Luckily, Monica’s given me a sleeping pill to help with this. Lets hope I don’t sleep through “important” events though!!

Tomorrow is a rest day, so if I can get some sleep, food and drink in, things will start getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment