Friday 13 April 2012

10-04-2012 – Everest Base Camp – Rest day


Altitude: 5300m
Atmospheric Pressure: 558mbar
Trek: 0km

I wake up and remember that I am at Everest Base Camp!! So, so pleased to be here.
After trekking all the way in, with days which felt too easy, I know being at 5300m is not “benign”, and 5 people have decided to miss breakfast, feeling down with nausea, splitting headache or throat troubles.
For all the trekkers, this is their “summit” and they’ve achieved their goal, in the next few days, they’ll be back in Kathmandu. For us, we’ve got another 50 days……

After breakfast, I retire to my tent, the wind is freezing, but when sheltered, the sun is transforming the tent in a sauna, and I find myself without top with the thermometer reading 30DegC, enjoying the morning.

However, by lunchtime, the clouds move in, and the temperature plummets to -4DegC.

A group of 7 is going down to Lobuche tomorrow morning to reach the summit, and we’ll follow in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment