Tuesday 24 April 2012

19-04-2012 – Lobuche Base Camp – Rest Day


Altitude: 4850m
Atmospheric Pressure: 590mbar
Trek: 0km

Another rest day, and it’s surprising to see the effect on people.
Some think too much, finding it hard mentally to do nothing and can’t occupy themselves without going negative. They’re here to do something, and sitting around doesn’t add up with climbing up a mountain. This is the trick of high altitude climbing, waiting for the body to adapt is hard on the mind.
Fortunately I don’t have this problem, and I can switch my mind off very easily….
Some people think about going home, they want to be here to climb but they don’t want to be here doing nothing. They want to climb Everest as quickly as possible but forget to enjoy the mountain.

The other extreme, is the army guys who see the trip as a job and use the spare time to discuss and plan their holidays after the climb……….what a contrast.

I use the day to debate how to take tomorrow, going up to Lobuche summit.
I’m planning to go as light as possible, but I’m in 2 minds on whether I should go as fast as possible, which is good for the mind as you convince yourself that “you’re all OK” or to take it easy, go through the day without stressing the body and give it some more time to recover, especially when considering that sleeping at 6000m will also add stress on the body.
I’m also thinking about a comment I’ve heard from one of the guide about the fact that the last 600m steep slope of Lobuche is actually a third of what’s waiting for us on the Lhotsee face, so I’m thinking about using this opportunity to take it slowly and develop a pace I can keep for a long time.

Laying in bed tonight, I’m actually quite excited to go back up, and it takes me a long time to go to sleep, hoping that I am “fixed” and that things will go well.
I’m also thinking about the hardship to get up there, the constant gasping for breath and the probable head ache at the top, part of the acclimatizing process. As Adrian said before, everybody hurts, and we all have to pay our “duty” to the God of altitude.
It will be worse still when we sleep at Camp 3 on the Lotsee face, at 7300m.
For now we’re only at 6000m!!

No comments:

Post a Comment