Tuesday 24 April 2012

20-04-2012 – Lobuche summit


Altitude: 4850m to 6000m
Atmospheric Pressure: 590mbar to 510mbar
Trek: 3.8kms / 4hrs

Up at 5am, off at 6am on a clear morning. No need for head torches, but I’m wearing my down jacket as it’s still bitterly cold in the shade.
A simple breakfast id layed for us, for those who feel like eating. They’ve banned fried eggs after the last group peppered the way up with the “rejects” due to poor digestion…

I take my time, having a couple of cups of coffee before setting off on my own.
A few of us and Brian the guide have gone 15min earlier.
My pack feels light, but as soon as I get moving, I feel too hot in my down jacket, the lack of wind helping.
I’ve decided on my “tactic” for the day. Never get out breath and take my time.
Going through the boulder field up to camp 1 is always frustrating, as I always get lost. The path sometimes disappears amongst the boulders and you have to guess the correct line.
I make it to camp 1 in good time, just as John B and Brian set off for the summit, having fitted their crampons.
I do the same and swap my trekking poles for my ice axe. The sun is now coming above the mountains and it’s nice and warm, too warm for my wooly hat….. and I can’t swap to my summer hat as I’m traveling light!! Lets hope I don’t get too sunburnt!!

The first section above Camp 1 is fairly “flat” although covered in snow, and after 30minutes, we find the first fixed ropes for the more technical section of the climb.
After 1 hour, I reach the bottom of the last 600m of steep, 50Deg slope.
I decide to stick to the plan, easy, never run out of breath and listen to my body.
I can not believe what is happening, because of my “casual” pace, not requiring any rest, I’m catching the people in front fast, I’m very excited, what a discovery!!
And at the end, I’m even catching up Brian, reaching the summit in 4 hours and only 6minutes behind him. Jo, my tent mate for the next couple of nights will arrive last and 3hr30min later!!
I feel fresh and ready to cope with the extra altitude!

Being first gives me the luxury to pick the tent, for it’s views and the proximity to fresh snow for melting.
After emptying y bag in the tent, I get melting snow for the next 3 hours. I need 2 liters to replenish my bottles, and an extra liter for Jo when he arrives.
Whenever reaching new altitude, drinking is the key to help the body acclimatise.
Tonight, we’re sleeping at 6000m, that higher than Kilimanjaro or Denali…not everybody will have fun….

The weather is not great, but we can just about see Everest. By the time we go to bed, the clouds are on us and visibility is only a few meters.

I’m delighted to have had such a great day and t seem that my body is recovering, lets hope it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment