Tuesday 8 May 2012

28-04-2012 – Everest Base Camp – Camp 2


Altitude: 5300m to 6500m
Atmospheric Pressure: 558mbar to 480mbar
Trek:11km / 6hr30

Fter the normal dinner at 18:30, followed by some short chit chat, the whole group headed to bed, hoping to get some sleep before heading off at 1am.
I managed to get 2 hours sleep, just managing to stay awake till 10pm to hear a big avalanche, not great for nerves.
I get dressed in the -13DegC tent, and head for a small bowl of porridge. My stomah can’t really take much more.
Monica and Russ are up to wish us good luck, they know the risk, we just imagine them….
Russell check that our avalanche transceivers are switched on as we walk out of camp.

The 1st 30mins to crampons point is a very steady pace, ideal to help with digestion.
As we arrive to crampon point, Sergey and I are ready first and eager to get going, and we push a sherpa to lead the way.
Russ has organized personal sherpas for Jaco and Martin as they only have 1 working arm / hand and they will need help with all the un-clipping / clipping on the fix rope, and it’s Jaco’s sherpa who lead the way.
But when Jaco’s crampon becomes loose, Sergey and I are forced to push on ahead by ourselves, in pitch dark, at 2am, through the unknown, maze ice fall, with Bruce, the first guide, 5mins behind, we feel quite alone.
At first, this is actually quite good fun, Sergey is leading the way, spotting the single set of foot prints zigzagging through the ice blocks and following the fixed rope threading its way through the chaos of ice.
We go up, down, around and sometimes parts below the ice blocks. I find myself thinking “don’t move, please don’t move now” or it would have crushed my legs.
It’s very dark, but the head torch uncovers huge blocks (house size at least) and massive crevasses. This area is what is called the “big popcorn”.
Eventually, we arrive in a flat area, surrounded by walls of ice, and split with crevasses every 10m or so. Sergey looks at me and we both say “we must be at the football field!”.
This is good sign, we making good progress. I radio Russ our position and his warm voice makes me feel we’re doing good, as well as leading the group.
Half way through the football field, the sherpas have put 2 blue barrels, indicating a safe resting place. We feel good and decide to push on rather than stop and get cold, much to the disappointment of Bruce who things we’re pushing too hard.
We pass the prayer flags and enter the risky area. Sergey is still leading, but we reach a point where the ropes go in 2 different direction. This happens because this area is active everyday and the ropes get buried often and a new route has to be set every night, hence the single set of foot prints.
Sergey goes one way and I go the other way, which turns out to be the route for today and I start leading the way.
It’s very similar to what we’ve been through so far, with occasional ladders, but suddenly, a loud noise comes from our left and we both hide behind the biggest ice block close to us. I keep my head out and shine my torch towards the noise. We all thought this wouldn’t happen to us, but we’ve just witness the first serac fall, quite close to us.
I look at Sergey and he has the same look of fear in his eyes, we’re both scared!
We push on, and suddenly, 10 minutes later, a louder “crack”, closer and bigger, followed by massive roar coming towards us. I hide behind a block and feel the rope getting tighter as Sergey plunge behind another block. Again, I keep my torch toward the noise, but this time, I stare at a huge cloud of snow coming our way, precursor of the bigger debris.
Luckily, the debris don’t make it to us, and the block behind which we’re hiding don’t move and crush us. We are both shit scared and panicking “Lets get out of here quick, keep moving”,  We know we have to get our of here quick. To our right is a massive block of ice, toppled over, offering a 15m high, 70Deg slope with the fixed rope going up it. I turn around to see the Jaco and his sherpa have rushed towards us as well.
I just find the time to get on the radio to clear that Sergey and I are safe. We must have been very close to the “action”.
The sherpa is shouting, “safety first, go up, safety first” and we found all 4 of us jumaring as quickly as our lungs and legs would allow, hoping to find safety at the top of this ice block.
At the top is a flat path, with enough room for all of us to catch our breaths and keep moving.
The fix rope carries on and I follow it as quickly as I can, until we eventually reach “blood and guts” ladder which marks the end of the high risk area, from then on, the terrain is much easier with a few ladder crossing to keep us on our toes.

We eventually reach Camp 1, I’ve pulled a small gap on Sergey, and find myself on my own.
As I reach the first tents, I radio Russell to let him know my position. It’s still dark and I can’t find our 6 green tents, so I decide to stop to get some energy back.
I take a gel and drink some water, but after 5 minutes, even though I’ve put on my down jacket, I feel very cold and decide to get going rather than wait for the others.
Bruce, the guide, stopped at our tents, where Amanda, Annie and Jamie have stopped yesterday to spend the night and recover. They have hot drinks ready for the guys.

I have no physical energy left, physically or emotionally. Nothing could have prepared us for the huge scale of the icefall and for the near miss with the serac fall. No words can describe it’s size and it’s wilderness, and it was too dark for pictures.
Not an experience I will forget soon,

As I set off to Camp 2, I realize day light is coming up, and I find myself surrounded by the huge shadows of the mountains around the Western Cwm. The valley feels much narrower than I would have expected.
Luckily, the slope between Camp 1 and Camp 2 is fairly gentle, we’re on top of the glacier, with more ladders set up to get across the bigger crevasses.
I have another 400m of ascent to walk, but this will take me 2 hours to make it to Camp 2 as every step becomes a mental strain.

Eventually, the wind becomes much too cold in my face and I stop to put on my balaclava and big mitaines.
Sergey decided to push on, I have no idea how he can cope with this cold.
Eventually, we can see Camp 2, problem is, the guides have warned us that from seeing the “bottom” of Camp 2, our camp is actually a further 30 mins up at least.
Sergey, 20m ahead now, turns around every 10 mins and shakes both his arms, to say “where is that f@@@ing camp!!”.
Russell has placed our camp as high as possible to avoid water contamination, which can be a problem here, if you don’t know what people above you do with human waste!!

We’re both exhausted when we reach camp, still with this freezing cold cutting straight through us. It’s 7:30am, and Adrian and Brian are up to welcome us as we slip into the warm kitchen tent where milk tea is handed to us. Heaven!!
30mins later, Jaco and Francis arrive and they too are exhausted, cold and emotionally spent. They arrive on border of hypothermia. They’ve done awesome considering Jaco has only 1 arm and Francis right hand does not work….. what an achievement to have made it through the ice fall, using the fixed ropes and having to swap the clip very, very often.
Jaco recalls that the last time he had been that scared was in Afghan, when he got hit by the rocket, the same noise and the same ignorance of where death will come from.
Till the end of the day, I can’t stop crying every time we mention the episode though the
ice fall, and how close we were to trouble, a mixture of exhaustion and emotional first!!

I mention to Jaco that I kept hearing voices behind me through the ice fall, seems unsual to have people chatting through there, but it turns out it was Jaco’s sherpa praying all the way up through the ice fall, and they all do it, every time! Thank you for the prayers!

As the day passes, with the different account of the day, it turns out all of us arrived in  camp exhausted physically, mentally and emotionally, some of the grown up man even admitting to crying when arriving into Camp 2. What a day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment